I came across this discussion on malnutrition in India amongst Members of Parliament from India.

Was surprised to know that malnutrition in India exceeds levels in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Microcredit can help in terms of consumption smoothening and also better nutrition for women. 

Bhalchander

Tags: India, Microcredit, malnutrition

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, this is a truly distressing state of affairs. I've also looked at several statistics from WHO, UNDP and other sources like the CIA World Factbook and have found that on many counts such as child nutrition, maternal health, infant mortality etc. India ranks as low as countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. It's hard for me to understand how a country that produces enough food for its people, produces several million new college graduates every year, and even has a vibrant space program, can do so poorly on so many fundamental indicators. UP is ideally placed to change this.
Quite remarkable. Even more remarkable is that 4 members of parliament in concert haven't been able to put a dent on the problem. Also interesting is the focus on empowering the woman of the household and the impact of women's self-help groups
I was sad to read that malnutrition is much higher in girls, but I definitely think that United Prosperity could help empower these women and start making an income and taking care of themselves.

An excellent article by Amartya Sen on looking at growth from a human perspective.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinio n/op-ed/article1451973.ece?homepage=true

He compares India, China and Bangladesh on some human development index parameters.

RSS

Latest Activity

Mysteron347 and Bhalchander Vishwanath are now friends
Jul 5, 2014
Sverre Skimmeland replied to Andreas Stephens's discussion Loans fully repaid!
"Default rate is stil 0 %  !!!"
Jun 18, 2014
Sverre Skimmeland replied to Richa Pokhriyal's discussion New group for lenders on Facebook
"Good idea"
Jun 18, 2014
Sverre Skimmeland replied to Grant's discussion Please use the money in your account
"Good idea"
Jun 18, 2014
Profile IconMellisa Gabriel, Ruby Timm, Alejandrina Sylvester and 13 more joined UnitedProsperity.org Lender Community
Jun 18, 2014

© 2017   Created by Bhalchander Vishwanath.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service